We were so lucky to get a special shipment of wild-caught Alaskan Coho Salmon and Pacific Cod courtesy of Sitka Salmon Shares. It's pretty wild (pun intended) to receive fish that was caught by fisherman and blast-frozen to maintain the freshness.
Sitka Salmon Shares is:
- Wild: Wild-caught from the pristine waters of Southeast Alaska and the North Pacific
- Sustainable: Harvested using hook-and-line methods to minimize negative ecological impact
- Traceable: Our relationships ensure that your fish is traceable to the boats of our fishermen-owners and trusted community partners
- Fishermen-centered: Individually caught by one of our fisherman-owners or partner fishermen (who we hope are on their way to ownership!). Fishermen ownership makes us distinct from our competition and creates a more just system that values hard work, high-quality fish and low-impact harvesting methods.
- Just: Our fishermen receive an average of 20-30% more for their harvest, which can equate to $10,000 extra income in a given season
- Premium: Blast-frozen at the peak of freshness to ensure the highest quality, guaranteed
- Convenient: Home delivered directly to your door, with recipes and a newsletter about the fishermen who caught that months share
- Conscious: Carbon offsets purchased and 1% of revenue donated to efforts promoting small-scale fisheries and conservation in Alaska.
How does Sitka Salmon Shares work?
Community Supported Fishery (CSF) members purchase their very own "shares" of their harvest. Similar to preorders or vegetable shares ordered through your favorite CSA, these purchases determine how much fish their fishermen catch! After that, CSF members receive a monthly home seafood delivery - their "share" - of their wild Alaskan catch, ranging 4.5-5lbs per month and ranging 3-9 months during the CSF season (April thru December). Prices range from $18 to $28 per pound, depending on the species you choose and the quantity you buy.Shipping is also FREE, which is a plus!
You're probably wondering if the fish is worth it or not. Let me tell you, it is beyond worth it. My husband and I both agree that it is the absolute best salmon we have ever eaten, period! Even better than what we have had from some swanky high-priced restaurants. I simple placed the sealed packs of coho salmon in the kitchen sink with enough water to submerge it. The salmon thawed quickly and I was completely in awe of the beautiful color. I did find some pin bones that I was able to pluck out. I always judge any fish by the smell. This salmon smelled clean and ocean-y, not overly fishy. If fish smells too fishy, I won't mess with it.
The way I make my roasted salmon is quite simple. I start with rinsing the fish and patting it dry with paper towels. I place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Next, I season with a blend of sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, creole seasoning, complete seasoning, and garlic powder. I then lightly rub the dry seasonings onto the fish filets, and top with fresh dill sprigs and lemon slices. The last step is to melt 4 tablespoons of butter and drizzle it over the top of the filets. I place the fish in the oven set on broil for 3 minutes, and then at 395 on the convection setting for 10 minutes. If you do not have the convection feature, you might need to add a few additional minutes of cooking time.
I squeezed some fresh lemon over the top of the salmon when it came out of the oven. I had to sneak a little piece before I plated it and it made me close my eyes. The salmon completely melted in my mouth! SO GOOD! I served the roasted salmon with some simple maple brown sugar mashed sweet potatoes and sauteed asparagus. This was a high-end restaurant-quality meal without a doubt.
Getting hungry? If you use this special discount code - SITKA25, it will take $25 off any 2020 PremiumSitka Seafood Share. Be sure to follow Sitka Seafood Shares on Facebook and Instagram for the latest product updates and recipes. I definitely plan to cook the cod in a couple weeks. I will browse some recipes and decide from there. My family will co-sign when I say that I highly recommend trying Sitka Salmon Shares.
Many thanks to Sitka Salmon Shares for providing a seafood box for my family to try. All opinions are my own as always. Thank you for stopping by today.