Gather up your favorite nacho ingredients, and let’s make Sheet Pan Potato Nachos! This simple staple meal is customizable, delicious, and so simple to make in less than 30 minutes.
Let’s all treat ourselves to a meal that everyone can get on board with: NACHOS!!! Whether you are looking for a fun appetizer, wanting a game day snack or meal, or just in the mood for something different on a Friday night, these Potato Nachos are here for you.
As a nutritionist, I always joke that nachos are my favorite junk food. As a kid, I was obsessed with nachos. You know, the kind with the processed cheese? I can assure you, these are not your childhood nachos! We’ve elevated them to new delicious levels and include the use of thinly sliced potatoes for a healthier variation. You can use either sweet potatoes or white potatoes, but from a nutrition standpoint, they are both good for you! Just different.
Are white potatoes healthy for you?
White potatoes are loaded with potassium, folate, vitamin C, and even contain some fiber! Also, white potatoes are also a fantastic source of resistant starch after they’ve been cooked and cooled. So move over tortilla chips, these potato nachos are not only tastier, but they are better for you!
How to make Potato Nachos
We are using the sheet pan method to make these potato nachos. Best part is that they come together in less than 30 minutes! I use a stainless steel mandoline to get my potato slices nice and thin.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Large Yukon Gold Potatoes (can also use russet potatoes)
- Avocado oil or olive oil
- Ground beef (can also substitute other proteins, see below)
- Taco seasoning: cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt
- Shredded cheddar cheese (see below for a dairy-free option)
- Chopped green onion
- Fresh tomatoes
- Guacamole or salsa for garnish!
All you need to do is thinly slice the potatoes with your mandoline, and lightly brush them with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. I used 2 large sheet pans to get the potatoes prepped, and popped them into the oven to bake.
They shrink after baking, and then you can combine them all onto one sheet pan.
While the potatoes are baking, ground the meat in saucepan and add your spices. Once the potatoes are cooked, remove from oven and add cheese and meat. Return back to the oven for a few minutes. Remove, and add all of your toppings!
- Potatoes: feel free to swap in sweet potatoes in place of white! This is certainly a fun and delicious variation that won’t change the cook time
- Protein: I used ground beef for this recipe, but you can certainly use ground turkey, chorizo, or ground chicken.
- Beans: beans can also be used in place of meat for a meatless variation! Black beans work best for this. It also cuts down on your cook time as you won’t need to cook the beans while the potatoes bake.
- Dairy-free: Looking for a dairy-free variation? You can always use my Blender Vegan Queso! I use this recipe for nachos all the time.
To make these Potato Nachos extra tasty, I made enough potatoes to fill two sheet pans. They start off thin, and then shrink as they bake. Once the initial roasting is complete, add all the potatoes to one pan, and you can even layer them a little bit!
Be sure to sprinkle cheese evenly on each layer. Also, don’t forget those extra toppings! My best Salsa Ever is the perfect companion.
For a short cut with the ground beef, you can also use store bought taco seasoning.
Other delicious recipes you will enjoy!
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Trader Joe’s Taco Bake
- Beef and Veggie Taco Skillet with Avocado Cilantro Sauce
Sheet Pan Potato Nachos
- 3 large White potatoes*
- 1 tbsp Avocado oil or olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese**
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup diced green onion
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Guacamole and salsa for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Add cooking spray to your sheet pan, or line with parchment paper.
- Prepare your potatoes by thinly slicing using a mandoline or knife. If using a mandoline, your potatoes will be thinner and cook faster! If using a knife, they will be a bit thicker and may take longer.
- Spread across 2 baking sheets and brush with a bit of oil, then sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes. This will depend on the thickness of the potatoes! Mine are done by 15 minutes, but it will take longer with thicker cut potatoes. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, make the ground beef on the stovetop. Use about 1-2 tsp oil to cook, and continue to brown until no longer pink. In a small bowl, combine the paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt. Mix into the cooked ground beef and set aside.
- Combine the potatoes onto one sheet pan, maybe even layering some of the potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese and add the ground beef. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Remove from oven.
- Garnish with tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and guacamole or salsa if using. Serve hot, immediately!
The post Sheet Pan Potato Nachos appeared first on Wholesomelicious.