These gluten-free biscuits are amazingly flavorful, they'll disappear in an instant. They are best fresh, warm, and straight out of the oven, but if you make hem the day ahead, simply warm them in the oven prior to serving. With the addition of herbs and a gravy that encompasses classic fall flavors, and is a fantastic addition to any holiday table.
Herbed Biscuits With Mushroom Gravy [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Biscuits:
- 4 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 3 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons unrefined granulated sweetener/raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil, room temperature (see notes)
- 2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon dried dill
For the Mushroom Gravy:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, plus more as needed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white or yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 ounces cup thinly sliced mushrooms, chopped small
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4-1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons coconut aminos
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
To Make the Biscuits:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, baking soda and powder, sugar, and sea salt.
- With a pastry blender of the back of a fork, cut in the coconut oil into the dry mixture until it becomes like a coarse meal.
- Stir in the almond milk and vinegar with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Set in refrigerator for 10 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Remove from refrigerator and dump the dough onto a counter lined with parchment paper. Gently work it into a ball with lightly floured hands (dough may be slightly sticky).
- Gently press dough to be 1-inch high and 8-inches in diameter. Cut out biscuits using a wide-mouth mason jar. Place biscuits on the baking sheet and continue until all dough is used.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Serve immediately with gravy.
To Make the Gravy:
- Add a bit of water or vegetable broth to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in the garlic, onion, and carrot, and cook until the onions are translucent. Add in the mushrooms, sage thyme, and rosemary, and cook until mushrooms soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour, stir to coat, mix well, and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in liquids, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Cook until thickened, stirring frequently, on low. Add salt and pepper, taste, then adjust seasonings as needed.
- Keep on low until you’re ready to serve, adding almond milk as needed.
The coconut oil must be refined in order to avoid the coconut flavor. Start with 3/4 cup almond milk and add more as needed.